Previously, Digital Ventures discussed China’s grand plan to uplift the economy with Made in China 2025 (find out more at Made in China 2025). Today, we will discuss the details of the plan. The core of the plan is the development of up to 10 technology industries. It covers businesses at every level and will make China a leader in production. It will drive China to become the economic and innovation leader, on par with western countries. What are the 10 key tech industries and what are they all about? Let’s find out.
10 key industries
Before going into the details, let us get acquainted with Made in China 2025’s 10 key industries.
- New Information and Communications Technology or ICT
- Advanced Numerical Control Machine Tools and Robotics
- Ocean Engineering Equipment and High-Tech Ships
- Advanced Rail Transit Equipment
- Energy Saving and Smart Vehicles
- Electricity Equipment
- Agriculture Equipment
- New Materials
- Biopharmaceuticals and High-Performance Medical Equipment
Digital Ventures will divide the content into 3 parts so that the details are easier and clearer for readers. In part 1, we will discuss ICT and robotics which are industries related to our daily lives and also the business sector.
New Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
Products in this industry support the information and communications sector. In the future, information connectivity may not only for used commercial purposes but will be utilized for infrastructures in smart cities. China has categorized this technology into 4 groups.
- Integrated Circuits are small circuits that are the base for the production of computers and other technologies such as smartphones, Internet of Things, and cloud computers. In the initial phase, China will focus on locking the domestic market and improving IC production processes to be “secure and reliable” before expanding to win international markets.
- ICT Equipment is all equipment that is related to ICT such as wireless mobile communication (4G, 5G, WiFi, Bluetooth), new generation network (fiber optic), and high-performance computer and server. Although a large portion is made in China, China isn’t the owner or inventor, thus, benefits are lower than expected. If China can invent and own the equipment, aside from boosting its economy, the cost for infrastructures will decrease and creating smart cities with ICT equipment will be more convenient. In the plan, Made in China items shall be the market leader by 2025.
- Operating System and Industrial Software are software solutions such as cloud computing and industrial solutions. By 2025, Made in China operation system and industrial software shall capture over 50% of the domestic market while cloud computing for industries will have a penetration rate of over 60% in key industries.
- Intelligent Manufacturing Core Information Equipment. China wants to develop smart devices for the manufacturing industry with information equipment, industrial control equipment, industrial sensors, and working systems as these technologies will uplift China’s manufacturing industry. For smart device development, the goal isn’t only to be the market leader, but must qualitatively upgrade the production sector. This means a safer workplace and improved atmosphere with less environmental effects. China seeks to achieve this goal by 2025.
Advanced Numerical Control Machine Tools and Robotics
This industry will focus on robotics both for the hardware and software. This technology and application shall benefit both the business and social sector. It is divided as follow:
- Advanced Numerical Control Machine Tools and Basic Manufacturing Equipment. This is the development of all robotics equipment and control system which is divided into the “standard and smart” and “middle-end and high-end”. The goal is for the “standard and smart” to capture more than 80% of the domestic market and the “middle-end and high-end” to capture the 30% of the domestic market by 2025.
- Robotics. The goal isn’t solely for the business sector but also for the social aspect. It states that robots must support eldercare, social services, and rescues. By 2025, the goal is for Chinese robots to capture 80% of the domestic market while the technology must be on par with international standards.
This is only a portion of the 10 key industries that China is developing in order to become the economic and innovation leader with Made in China 2025. We still have other key industries regarding macroeconomy and deep tech. Follow the Digital Ventures blog for more updates.
Thank you for the information from uschina.org.